Wait. We’re assuming too much at this point. In case you’ve been living under a rock and have never heard of or even experienced Black Rooster, well let’s start there. Their original location has been living in the Mills 50 District for several years, essentially across the street from Pig Floyd’s. It’s a great location, very quaint and conveniently situated doors down from several great neighborhood bars. So now you’re basically up-to-speed.
With that, they are currently in their soft opening as of early this week, and last week we were fortunate enough to have been provided an invitation to check our their new digs.
Situated in a refurbished ABC Liquor store and neighboring a brand new Floyd’s Barbershop, this new Black Rooster has a fantastic, immediately noticeable outdoor space for dining, corn hole, and just hanging out.
On the evening of our visit the weather was nearly perfect, so all of the large “garage style” doors were open to let in the cooler air.Upon entering, guests were offered a variety of cocktails to kick off the evening. The centerpiece: The Rooster Sunrise. This refreshing beverage was comprised of Oberon, Cava, and Pineapple Agua Fresca. Now we’re not typically fans of anything pineapple flavored but the drink consisted of just enough to make it so tasty!
Moving on to the tastings, on this evening of the preview, Black Rooster was offering up some of their most favorite items off of their menumenu (this location will be mostly similar to the Mills 50 location):
- Guacamole (which is, according to many, some of the best on the planet): Avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro, chile Serrano, lime
- Crispy Fish Taco: White fish (daily catch), pickled red cabbage, avocado, mayonnaise, cilantro
- Rooster Taco: Seared beef, apple wood smoked bacon, Oaxaca cheese, pickled chile poblano
- Veggie Taco: Shiitake mushrooms, onion, zucchini, epazote, cilantro, crema fresca
- Brisket Taco: Thinly sliced beef, chimichurri, romaine lettuce, crema fresca, pico de gallo, cotija cheese
- Pozole Cup: Pork shoulder, roasted tomatillo, chile serrano, radish, cilantro, green cabbage, onion, lime, queso fresco, corn tortilla chips
- Ceviche Shooter
- Tres Leches Shooter: 3 milk soaked sponge cake
And when you visit Black Rooster….As we mentioned earlier, this location is now in soft opening and is actually actively hiring. So…if you’re looking for a new gig or just something part-time. According to the owners the official opening will likely be sometime in the new year – probably January.
Black Rooster Taqueria – Hourglass District
3097 Curry Ford Road
Orlando, FL. 32806